Server Stories Part 1
"I was working a double at my place of employment.
The outside of the building has cedar beams and siding, they were being refinished so the company that was refinishing them was outside pressure washing and prepping them to be resealed.
At the time they were doing that it wasn't busy and had no customers in the building, so my manager decided to run to the bank to make the daily deposit and swing by the post office to mail the daily mail.
She had been gone for no longer than 20-25 minutes, I was in the kitchen getting ready for the evening rush, I came out of the kitchen to make sure no one had come in to be waited on and I looked out into our indoor patio area and seen a slight haze as the sun shined through the floor to ceiling windows.
I went to our head cook and asked him to come out and look at it, cuz it just didn't look right. He saw the same thing I did. So when my manager came back I told her immediately about it.
Well, come to find out that while the building was being pressure washed it caused some wires to start a fire!
Thank goodness it had also been caught in time that we didn't have to close the place down but we did have to close that section for a couple hours so they could get it fixed.
We were able to open the section back up right before the supper rush that evening.
There were a couple that had came quite frequently to eat, I created them at the door and asked where they wanted to sit. The wife said they would like to sit out in our patio area, so I brought them out there sat them at a table and told them their server would be with them shortly.
She thanked me and said I just love sitting out here the view is just fabulous and then she went on to also comment about the "fresh cedar smell!"
I just smiled and said ya it's really nice! All the while laughing inside and thinking if she only knew the reason for the fresh smell of cedar was because of an electrical fire in the ceiling a couple hours prior!!" - Renee